Intro to the Internet
Objectives for this
Students will be able to
Directions: (read and follow directions
- Create a folder for storing English
assignments in H drive.
- Open a Word document and save it
to H drive
- Create a data table in Word
- Use a Browser to search the Internet
- Use reading strategies:
- using headings and bolded words
as clues to main ideas
- isolate main ideas
- Use key commands for copy and paste
- Write summaries
- Send document as an attachment in
- Designate a particular subject line
- Create a folder for CyberEnglish9. Name it
CE9. Save all your English documents for 9th grade in this folder.
If you have time, create folders for your other 9th grade classes.
- Open a Word doc. and save it as Intro_Internet.
Change the document set up to landscape. Create a three column,
four row table. Head the columns as shown below.
Save the file and minimize (don't close) the window. Then
come back to this window to continue.
- When you click on the link
below, you will find a page full of links to interesting articles
and related sites regarding the Internet. Quickly search through
some of these to find three that are of interest to you. Choose
from the numbered sites (1-25) and not from the
list of search engines. If the link is broken, you will need to
choose a different one.
- Choose three sites to read more carefully.
Maybe all of them will be on a common topic or theme. For each
site you visit, record the date of your visit. Also, record
the url. Copy (control + C) the url from the address bar and paste
it (control + V) into your table. Then, write a summary
of what you learned from the site. Do this for each web
site you visit. Save your Word doc. often. You do not have to read
the entire site, but skim to find interesting information. Do
Not copy and paste text from the site. Write your summaries
in your own words.
- When you are finished, send your Word document
to your teacher as an email attachment (we will go over this
in class before you get started on this assignment). The subject
line of your email should be this: internet. Make sure
it is exact or you won't get credit for that.
- You have today and tomorrow to finish this
|Name of Site
||Notes: What I learned there
Click on the link below to find resources
for this project.
You may also use other credible resources that you find on your own.
is the Internet?
Be sure to follow the directions
above and not those given on Mr. Nellen's page. : )