Integrating Technology &
Developing Self-Directed Learners
A first magnitude spring, over 100 million
gallons of water gush forth daily at Manatee
to Explore CE9 . . .
We Appreciate Your Support!
Ms Hogue's Online English Resources
Presentation to Sheboygan Falls School
Board, May 21, 2007
A brief history
York beginnings in March 2000
- Governor's Technology Grant
- Began with 1/2 class in 2001 using laptops
Benefits of CyberEnglish
- Engages students at a high level: G&T
- Fun! Why this matters
- Personal (web pages always individual)
- Integrates technology & develops self-directed
- Writing on the web changes audience and
creates a natural/internal need for revision
helps students connect their learning with what they know; changes roles
of reader and writer
- Gets students to be metacognitive: CyberJournals
- Students write for a variety of audiences
using a variety of modes/genres
- For parents: calendar
(due dates), unit plans, email, and students' web
Where we are now
- In our sixth year, still trying to push
- Beyond webpages: Moodle, Wiki, Blogs?
- New units: Media
& You uses a Wiki
Our state and national
- Three Wisconsin teachers; Mrs.
- April, two teachers from Gibraltar High
School in Door County came to visit. They were impressed and are excited
to start their program.
- Queries: Most recently from Virginia Beach
- Invited for the 4th year in a row to talk
about CyberEnglish at the NCTE National Convention.
Some information for this site
taken from other presentations and webpages.