In this activity, you'll visit
several websites designed to make you more aware of how media literate you
are, of media tricks, of advertising techniques, and of consumer habits,
among other things. You'll be answering some questions as you look at each
site. Your answers to these questions will help you in your discussion in
the Moodle. You will also hand in your questions as an email attachment.
This is a good activity to
use for your media journal. Choose any aspect from this activity. Don't
try to write about all of it.
Day one: Webquest
the questions for this activity to use as a guide. Choose open and then
save the file in your h:/ drive. You'll hand this is by email; send it as
an attachment. Some of these questions come from the PBS
- Site #1: Take the web
quiz on media consumption. There are 15 questions for finding out how
much you know.
- Site #2: PBS has created an interactive
guide to teach you about media. Explore freely, but also answer the
questions on your webquest guide.
- Site #3: Girl
Power: is that magazine cover for real?
- Site #4: WWF
and the New American Dream.
- Subject line for emailing
activity guide: webquest
Day two: Moodle discussion
- Log in to the Moodle and go to CyberEnglish.
- Find the Media & You discussion.
- Respond to as many questions as you like,
but at least two.
- Reply to comments from others, as many as
you like, but at least one.
- Your comments and replies must be backed
up with reasons. Use the knowledge you gained from the webquest as well
as your own experience.
- Do not use IM language in the Moodle discussion.
- Sign your posts!